Although Molecular Maya (mMaya) facilitates the import and modeling of molecular models, it is sometimes useful to export these models as geometry for use in other 3D programs and game engines. This tutorial explains how to use Maya’s MASH instancing system and Python to export mMaya ball-and-stick atomic geometry.
Tethering a Transcription Factor to Dynamic DNA
Using Molecular Maya (mMaya) and the dsDNA kit, this short tutorial explains how to convert an imported co-crystal structure of a protein bound to DNA (in this case a PDB of Myc:Max:DNA) into a dynamic animation where the protein dimer is tethered to an extended strand of simulated DNA.
From Structural Data to 3D Animation Software: Introduction to Chimera, Pymol, and VMD for Preproduction
An introductory look at the molecular visualization software to 3D animation software workflow, with step-by-step tutorials to acquaint the user to three of the popular molecular viewing softwares Chimera, Pymol and VMD. Pre-production tasks done in molecular viewing software to prepare PDB files for import into Maya (via the Molecular Maya plugin) will be discussed, including splitting macromolecules into multiple pieces and rebuilding large macromolecular complexes from separate PDB files.
- Discussing pros and cons of the molecular viewing software Chimera, Pymol and VMD
- Reviewing the Chimera, Pymol and VMD interfaces
- Performing pre-production tasks on PDB files to prepare structural data for import into Maya
The Making of Apoptosome
A behind-the-scenes look at how we created our 2013 Apoptosome Assembly animation for Cell Signaling Technologies, with step-by-step tutorials that cover key concepts including research and pre-production, construction of complete protein models from available 3D structural data as well as missing data, and compositing techniques used to avoid split-attention issues.
- Finding structural data in the Protein Data Bank and using the data to
reconstruct complex 3D models in Maya & Molecular Maya.
- Finding structural data in the Protein Data Bank and using the data to reconstruct complex 3D models in Maya & Molecular Maya.
- Dealing with incomplete or controversial scientific information
- Learning how to rig and animate multi-domain protein models
- Using compositing techniques to increase clarity and viewer’s learning experience