This tutorial is for scientists looking to improve their data figures and visualizations. In our approach, we’ve broken down the design process into a series of practical and functional units. By doing so, we hope to help you make sense of visual design process and to show you how you can apply these principles to solve common visual problems and challenges in data presentation. By the end of the tutorial, you’ll have the tools and strategies that will allow you to design clear and strong figures that will better communicate your data.
- Understand cognitive design as an intersection of visual design and cognitive science.
- Learn the three variables of cognitive design.
- Understand how these variables can change the scope of your design.
- Learn to focus your designs by identifying your communication objectives.
- Learn the five key elements of design.
- Understand how the elements can change the aesthetic nature and legibility of your designs.
- Learn the five key principles of design.
- Understand how the principles can affect the interpretation and communication of your designs.
- Learn common design software used in creating data figures and visualizations.
- Learn different formatting requirements for print versus digital media.